Join the Board of Directors
City Slicker Farms is actively recruiting individuals for our Board of Directors. If you are interested in empowering Oakland residents to grow healthy, organic food for themselves and their families, please consider joining our board of directors. City Slicker Farms aims to expand Board membership to 15 members that represent the diversity of Oakland, particularly in terms of age, race, ethnicity, gender, and life experience. We’re looking for new Board members who:
- Share our organization’s passion and commitment to empowering Oakland residents to grow healthy, organic food for themselves and their families
- Have experience as a non-profit Board member or community leader
- Have a basic understanding of non-profit financial and/or program management
- Live in Oakland or the East Bay
If you are interested, write to board_inquiry [at] cityslickerfarms [dot] org.
Board members also bring skills and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Program management and strategic planning skills
- Small business and entrepreneurial experience
- Media and publicity skills
- Event coordination experience
- Fundraising skills, particularly with individual donors
- Access to sustainable agriculture, Oakland community, local government, media, social justice, and local, state and national food policy networks
- Grassroots organizing experience
- Financial management expertise
- Significant gardening and farming experience
Benefits and Expectations
Service on City Slicker Farms Board of Directors offers a tremendous opportunity to help mold our programs and strategies, the impact of which will be felt for many years in Oakland and beyond. Board members commit to a two year term requiring approximately 10-15 volunteer hours per month. Monthly Board meetings are held 6:00-8:30 p.m. on the third Tuesday of the month (either in-person or on the phone) in West Oakland. The Board’s primary responsibilities are governance, oversight, fundraising, and strategic planning.
Board members commit to:
- Attend a set of program orientation sessions to experience what City Slicker Farm’s does first hand within the first six months of Board membership
- Attend a minimum of 80% of regularly scheduled board meetings and one annual retreat
- Read and be prepared to discuss relevant materials in preparation for meetings
- Actively participate in at least one committee and attend those monthly meetings regularly (current committees are Executive, Finance, Fundraising, Board Development, Communications and Capital Campaign) or take leadership in a specific Board area.
- Actively participate in City Slicker Farms fundraising and outreach activities including requesting donations from individuals and making connections with other resources City Slicker Farms’ behalf
- Make a personally meaningful financial contribution annually
For more information contact board_inquiry [at] cityslickerfarms [dot] org.